Search This Blog

Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Fate of the Five Rings: The Why

This is my Legend of the Five Rings hack. There are many like it but this one is mine.

So why another L5R hack? Well a couple of reasons (ok, three). 

  • Firstly, the last time we played Five Rings the characters ended up in the clink, which was a great cliff hanger but the guys really want to find out what happens next.
  • Secondly, we're currently playing FATE/Earthdawn which is going quite well and I've learned loads about FATE Core, but the hack was pretty rushed and far from perfect. The story we're currently playing, (Mists of Betrayal) is heading for conclusion in the next couple of weeks and the vote was to go back to L5R.
  • Lastly, I want to take what I've learned from Earthdawn and from my side project Street Magic and use that to tell a deeper more involving story.
When I was a kid I remember watching Outlaws of the Water Margin and that's going to be a big influence on the game as well as epic battle scenes and court intrigue inspired by Akira Kurosawa's Ran.

Thematically, honour and betrayal are at the center of the story but beyond that we'll discuss the details of the game setup as a group in session one where we'll agree world and story aspects as well as some of the key NPC's. We didn't do that for Earthdawn but that hack was a retrofit in the middle of a story.

One of the players is a huge Naruto fan, and although there are "no ninjas" I think we'll try and work some something into the game based on that too.

Next post I'll discuss the changes I'm making to Core skills.